Gurudwara Mata Sundri
Gurudwara Mata Sundri is considered to be one of the major historical Gurudwara of the Sikh; it is a landmark on the Mata Sundri road in the heart of Delhi. It is situated behind JP Nayak Hospital, the Gurudwara is a tribute to Mata Sundri, the wife of the 10th Guru – Guru Gobind Singh Ji.
Mata Sundri was considered to be the first wife of the tenth Guru Gobind Singh (1666–1708). The Delhi Gurdwara Committee constructed an imposing shrine on the site of the Haveli, where Mata Sundri stayed after the departure of the Guru to Deccan. While some claim that Sangat (public) raised a shrine in her loving memory on the spot where she lived for half of her life. Most of the Sikhs believe that after the passing away of Guru Gobind Singh at Nanded in October 1708, she nurtured and guided the Khalsa for forty years after the Guru’s death. Sikhs followed her instructions and respected her, looked up to her for guidance. Mata Sundri Kaur left for her heavenly abode in 1747 at this place where now the temple resides and her last rites were performed at the place of Gurdwara Bala Sahib.
Gurudwara Banda Singh Bahadur
Gurdwara Shahidi Asthaan Baba Banda Singh Bahadur is situated in the Meharauli Area of Delhi near the Qutab Minar. HereBaba Banda Singh Bahadur ji, his four year old son Ajai Singh along with forty Sikhs were tourtured to death by the Mughals.
Gurudwara Bala Sahib
Gurdwara Bala Sahib is one of the most important Sikh shrines in Delhi, next in importance to Gurudwara Sis Ganj and Gurudwara Bangle Sahib. Large number of Sikhs and Hindus visit this holy place daily. This Gurdwara is associated with the eighth Guru Sri Harkrishan Sahib ji and two wives of Guru Gobind Singh namely Mata Sundri ji and Mata Sahib Kaur ji.
During his stay in Delhi, Guru Harkrishan Sahib won the hearts of a large number of admirers by applying healing touch on ailing bodies. He cured hundreds of people, suffering from acute attack of cholera and smallpox. For Sikhs of Delhi, his very presence amidst them, had a very healthy impact. For them the Guru was the boat of salvation, a ladder to reach one’s ultimate home, a key to open the lock,a unifier of man with God and so on. In fact for Sikhs a Guru is indispensable, yet he is not an end in himself, but only a means for the attainment of salvation.
Gurudwara Majnu Ka Tilla
Gurdwara Majnu-ka-Tilla is situated on the right bank of river Yamuna, opposite Timarpur Colony beyond the Khyber Pass section of Delhi, India. The birthday of the Khalsa is celebrated here with much festivity on Baisakhi day. On this day, which holds a special place in the hearts of all Sikhs, the city swells with pilgrims from the surrounding areas. With many people of different creeds, castes, and status join the Sikhs of Delhi. During the festivities a special langar (a free kitchen or meal) of enormous size is arranged.
Gurudwara Rakab Ganj Sahib
The Gurdwara Rakab Ganj Sahib is a historic gurudwara near Parliment House in New Delhi. It was built in 1783, after Sikh military leader Baghel Singh (1730–1802) captured Delhi, on 11 March 1783, and his brief stay in Delhi, led to the construction of several Sikh religious shrines within the city. This one marks the site of cremation of the ninth Sikh Guru, Guru Tegh Bahadur, after his martyrdom in November 1675 for saving Hindu Kashmiri Pandits, under orders of Aurangzeb. The Gurudwara sahib is built near old Raisina village near Raisina Hill, at present Pandit Pant Marg, took 12 years to build. Prior to that, a mosque had been built near the spot; eventually later Mughal emperor Shah Alam gave the permission to build a Gurdwara sahib there.
The Gurdwara Rakanganj sahib is also home to the Delhi Sikh Gurudwara Management Committee.
Gurudwara Moti Bagh
Gurdwara Moti Bagh Sahib is situated on the Ring Road (Mahatma Gandhi Marg) in Delhi City
between Dhaula Kuan and RK Puram (Shanti Path) south of the intersection with National Highway 8. Once Guru Gobind Singh Ji camped at this site with his army. Earlier it was known as Mochi Bagh and later the name was changed to Moti Bagh. An old story relates that the Guru, an accomplished archer, shot two arrows from a colony of cobblers in Moti Bagh which hit the ‘Divan’ (throne or bed) of Prince Muazzam (later Bahadur Shah).
The Guru’s first arrow announced his arrival in Delhi and the second arrow carried a chit saying, “It is not magic but skill of archery”. Bahadur Shah was said to be sitting in the Red fort at the time. Seeing the arrow strike, Bahadur Shah took this as a miracle. The story continues that a second arrow landed in the Divan’s left foot with a note (chit) pointing out that the Emperor was wrong in labelling the sudden appearance of an arrow in his cot as a miracle, as the note stated that this was not a miracle but a display of the Guru’s skill in archery. The Emperor was said to be so impressed with this that he immediately
Gurudwara Nanak Piao
Gurdwara Nanak Piao is a historical Gurudwara located in north Delhi in India. This gurdwara sahib is dedicated to the first Sikh Guru, Sri Guru Nanak Dev Ji. Gurdwara Nanak Piao was built at the site, in the garden where Guru Nanak Dev camped when he visited Delhi in 1505 during the reign of Sultan Sikandar Lodi. It is situated on Rana Pratap Road (also known as Grand Trunk Road or GT Road). It is said that people flocked to the revered prophet and offered him and Bhai Mardana precious gifts and offerings. Guru Nanak Dev Ji used to distribute all these offerings to the poor and needy. Besides this, he used to offer food and water to the hungry and thirsty, hence the name of the shrine. The word “Piao” mean to “offer liquid to drink” and refers to the offering of water to all the thirsty who visited this shrine.
Even today, the Well used by the Guru is preserved and one can still see the well from which Guru Nanak served water at the shrine. Consequently, over time Gurdwara Nank Piao attained a status of a holy and revered historical shrine. Guru Nanak Dev was an apostle of peace, brotherhood, non-violence and amity. His sermons created very uplifting and healthy impact on the people who bowed before him as respect for his spiritual guidance. The garden surrounding the Gurudwara became a place of pilgrimage for the people from all over Delhi. This is where they received the message of spiritual deliverance.
Gurudwara Sis Ganj Sahib
Gurudwara Sis Ganj Sahib is one of the nine historical Gurudwaras in Delhi. It was constructed in 1783 by Baghel Singh to commemorate the martyrdom site of the ninth Sikh Guru, Guru Tegh Bahadur. Situated in Chandni Chowk in Old Delhi, it marks the site where the ninth Sikh Guru was beheaded on the orders of the Mughal emperor Aurangzeb on 11 November 1675 for refusing to convert to islam.
Gurudwara Bangla Sahib
Gurudwara Bangla Sahib is one of the most prominent Sikh Gurudwara, or Sikh house of worship, in Delhi, India and known for its association with the eighth Sikh Guru, Shri Har Krishan Sahib Ji, as well as the pool inside its complex, known as the “Sarovar.” It was first built as a small shrine by Sikh General Sardar Bhagel Singh in 1783, who supervised the construction of nine Sikh shrines in Delhi in the same year, during the reign of Mughal Emperor Shah Alam.